Location: Atlanta, Georgia
ZAPATA is a diverse, full-service engineering and field services company with operations throughout the Continental United States and Pacific in support of Department of Defense, federal government, and private sector clients. The company is seeking an Architect in Training to work in the Atlanta, GA office.
This position requires a degreed architect, under the supervision of a licensed architect, to assist in the design and construction of a variety of projects, including building systems, architectural design and detailing, interdisciplinary coordination and commissioning requirements supporting military/commercial/industrial new and retrofit for building and infrastructure construction. Position includes responsibility for project schedules, budgets and design requirements; preparation of design plans, project specifications and cost estimates; inspection of construction projects; and close interaction with a multidisciplinary staff of engineers and scientists. Experience applying the skills required to design projects for Department of Defense facilities, including demonstrating an understanding of the unique requirements of the active military is regarded as a plus. Requires the application of a general knowledge of the physical sciences and mathematics underlying engineering, and specialized knowledge of construction systems, repairs to historical structures, and pre-engineered buildings.
• Preparing specifications or construction cost estimates
• Conducting site visits to document conditions
• Architectural design for sites and projects
• Architectural detailing for construction drawings
• Assist in the preparation of written reports
• Planning, designing, constructing and/or maintaining structures and facilities that provide shelter, support transportation systems and control natural resources
• Research and development activities
• Evaluate, select and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria, using judgment in making some substantial architectural adaptations and modifications to assigned projects
• Assist in the planning, designing, and monitoring of projects for substantial new construction, renovation and improvement projects for real property facilities encompassing highly specialized or unique requirements
• Assist in serving as a technical consultant concerning facilities planning, design, construction and/or maintenance for different categories of facilities; determine resources and perform long-range planning
• Review consultant-prepared design drawings, indicating basic design corrections, prepare technical specifications, review engineering plans for compliance with numerous regulatory acts.
• Assist in the evaluation of contract bids, make recommendations to higher-level engineers/architects regarding feasibility studies and assist in the management of large-scale construction projects
• Use construction inspection report data to prepare payment estimates as a recommendation for payment of contractors
• BS in Architecture
• Working toward professional license
• Military facilities design a plus
• Working knowledge of applicable design and building codes
• Proficiency in various software and AutoCad required, Microstation experience a plus
• Computer proficiency in Excel, Word, and scheduling software
• Ability to have strong rapport with clients
• Strong written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• US Citizenship and ability to obtain a government clearance are required
ZAPATA offers a competitive benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability and life insurance, paid time off, holiday pay, and 401(k) participation.
All employment offers are contingent upon successfully completing a criminal background check and drug screen. ZAPATA participates in E-Verify.
EOE AA M/F/Disabled/Veterans
VEVRAA Federal contractor. Zapata desires priority referrals.
Drug Free Workplace