Title: Project Controls Engineer
Location: Charlotte, NC
ZAPATA is a diverse, full-service engineering and field services company with operations throughout the Continental United States and Pacific in support of Department of Defense, federal government, and private sector clients. The company is seeking a Project Controls Engineer to work in the Charlotte, NC office.
This position will report to the Sr VP Operations and be responsible for assisting the Project Manager (PM) in implementation of project specific cost control processes to ensure project profitability and other commercial goals are met.
- Assist in budget estimation, resource planning, contract review and assessment.
- Assist in developing Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) for projects.
- Use financial system to review, monitor and analyze financial performance, project costs and other performance parameters, assist in determining corrective actions to address poor financial performance.
- Track actuals against budgets, conduct variance analyses, carry out reporting of project financials and respond to queries from project teams.
- Open, close and manage job numbers.
- Assist PMs in updating project forecasts on a regular basis to ensure current and accurate reporting of project performance and liaise with Accounting.
- Assist in monitoring and managing scope changes; maintaining change and risk registers, issuing fee proposals; manage contract change orders.
- Assist in preparation and issuing of monthly client invoices and monitor accounts receivable.
- Assist in collection, collation and review of timesheets of project team members.
- Assist in preparation of various monthly client reports.
- Assist in sub-consultant management including tracking costs, and reviewing invoices and payments.
- Bachelors Degree in a related field
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in engineering design or construction industry
- General knowledge of management and experience in contractual matters preferred
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize effectively and manage deadlines; highly organized
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Ability to relate and work well with people at all levels within the team and within the wider office, as well as externally with clients
- Very proactive; must show willingness to take on additional responsibilities without having to be assigned; a team player and able to perform independently
- Must have experience in the areas of budgeting, financial reporting, cost tracking
- Have an advanced knowledge of Excel, data manipulation and spreadsheet design to communicate results
- Experience in PowerPoint for report preparation desirable
- Experience in project scheduling software beneficial
ZAPATA offers a competitive benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, flexible spending accounts, disability and life insurance, paid time off, holiday pay, and 401(k) participation
All employment offers are contingent upon successfully completing a criminal background check and drug screen. ZAPATA participates in E-Verify.
EOE AA M/F/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans
Drug Free Workplace