Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
ZAPATA is a full-service engineering company with operations throughout the Continental United States in support of Department of Defense, federal government, and private sector clients. The company is seeking a junior-level Civil Engineer to work in the Charlotte, NC office.
This junior-level position requires a qualified engineer to design a variety of projects including: site plans, drainage, utilities, horizontal infrastructure (roads); and commissioning requirements supporting military/commercial/industrial new and retrofit for building and infrastructure construction. Position includes responsibility for preparation of design plans, project specifications and cost estimates; inspection of construction projects; and close interaction with a multidisciplinary staff of engineers and scientists. Experience applying the skills required to projects for Department of Defense facilities, including demonstrating an understanding of the unique requirements of the active military is regarded as a plus. Requires the application of a general knowledge of the physical sciences and mathematics underlying engineering, and specialized knowledge of the mechanics of solids (particularly of soils), hydraulics, theory of structure, strength of materials, engineering geology and surveying.
- Prepares specifications or construction cost estimates
- Conducts site visits to document conditions
- Prepares civil site designs incorporating standardized erosion control and stormwater management practices
- Prepares civil detailing for construction drawings
- Assists in the preparation of written reports
- Evaluates, selects and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria, using judgment in making some substantial engineering adaptations and modifications to assigned projects
- Assists in the planning, designing, and monitoring of projects for substantial new construction, renovation and improvement projects for real property facilities encompassing highly specialized or unique requirements
- Assists in serving as a technical consultant concerning facilities planning, design, construction and/or maintenance for different categories of facilities; determine resources and perform long-range planning
- Reviews consultant-prepared design drawings and technical specifications, indicating basic design corrections, for compliance with numerous regulatory acts
- Assists in the evaluation of contract bids, make recommendations to higher-level engineers regarding feasibility studies and assist in the management of construction projects
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
- Completion of FE
- 3-5 years design and/or construction experience
- Military facilities design a plus
- Working knowledge of applicable design and building codes
- Working knowledge of HydraFlow, Civil3D, and AutoCad required, Microstation experience a plus
- Computer proficiency in standard Office Suite and scheduling software
- Ability to have a strong rapport with clients
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to obtain a DoD government clearance is required
ZAPATA offers a competitive benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability and life insurance, paid time off, holiday pay, and 401(k) participation.
All employment offers are contingent upon successfully completing a criminal background check and drug screen. ZAPATA participates in E-Verify.
EOE AA M/F/Disabled/Veterans
VEVRAA Federal contractor. Zapata desires priority referrals.
Drug Free Workplace