Location: Charlotte, NC
ZAPATA is a diverse, full-service architect- engineering and field services company with operations throughout the Continental United States and Pacific in support of Department of Defense, federal government, and private sector clients. The Company is seeking an experienced Controller to fill the position of Controller in the Charlotte, NC headquarters.
This position is responsible for monthly and annual financial reporting and the integrity of the accounting system, processes and controls. In addition to GAAP financial statements, the Controller manages project accounting (job cost accounting) in order to create financial reports specifically designed to track the financial progress of projects, which can then be used by Project Managers to enhance project performance.
Responsible for the preparation of the annual incurred cost submission to Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) and participates in the preparation of provisional and pricing indirect rates. Will maintain the company’s disclosure statement and document policies and procedures as appropriate. Will take the lead role in supporting DCAA audits and tax inquires and will support other internal and external audits as required. Assists in the company’s tax filings including: coordination with external accounting firm, preparation of supporting schedules, and review of the state and federal tax returns. Supports the development of improved financial performance measurement processes and metrics.
- Oversees accounting procedures, processes, internal controls (implementing, monitoring, enhancing), and database management
- Manages Account Receivable (AR), Account Payable (AP) personnel and oversees their work performance
- Assures accounting compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and Contract Specifications
- Manages operational data and ensures data integrity and accuracy as well as development of operational procedures and documentation of data flow
- Prepares accurate reports and financial statements on a monthly and annual basis
- Plans, organizes and coordinates the monthly closing procedures and processes
- Reviews audit reports for accuracy
- Audits work flow to assure that all accounting transactions are appropriately authorized
- Assists in the month-end closing and financial reporting process including account analysis and reconciliation
- Coordinates the annual and interim financial statement audits with external auditors including preparation of all supporting schedules
- Conducts year end preparation of financial information for auditors
- Prepares client invoices
- Analyzes billing, expenses and job costing
- Performs financial analysis of balance sheets and income statements
- Maintains fixed asset system of all property and equipment
- Responsible for ensuring all payroll taxes and fiduciary responsibilities are met
- Trains staff on internal control procedures
- Works on special projects, as requested, and assists others as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
- Comprehensive and working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Internal Revenue Code (IRC), organizational auditing, fixed asset accounting, and tax filing requirements
- 10 or more years’ experience in government contracting and project-based accounting and a mid-to-senior accounting leadership role within a corporation
- Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA), Department of Defense (DoD) compliance experience and reporting preferred
- Microsoft Dynamics Accounting System experience preferred; must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Experience with Construction/Engineering Government contracting a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to build relationships
- Ability to analyze issues and suggest solutions, and see obstacles through to resolution
- Work independently with limited oversight, and must be detail-oriented and organized
- Must demonstrate a high level of integrity
ZAPATA offers a competitive benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability and life insurance, paid time off, holiday pay, and 401(k) participation.
All employment offers are contingent upon successfully completing a criminal background check and drug screen. ZAPATA participates in E-Verify.
If interested, submit your resume and a cover letter describing how you meet the criteria, salary requirements, and your availability online at https://www.zapatainc.com/careers/
EOE AA M/F/Disabled/Veterans
VEVRAA Federal contractor. ZAPATA desires priority referrals.
Drug Free Workplace