Location: Charlotte, North Carolina or Atlanta, Georgia
ZAPATA is a diverse, full-service engineering company with operations throughout the Continental United States in support of the Department of Defense, federal government, and private sector clients. The company is seeking an experienced Senior Structural Engineer to work out of either the Charlotte, NC office or the Atlanta, Georgie office.
This position requires structural design for a variety of projects, including new buildings and infrastructure construction, seismic structural upgrades, forensic investigations, and military/commercial/industrial renovation. Responsible for design and detailing for production of structural working drawings at a senior level commensurate with experience. Other duties may include assisting in the preparation of written reports, preparing specifications or construction cost estimates, conducting site visits to document conditions, and coordinating directly with both in-house and outside professionals. This position would also mentor coworkers with less experience. Experience applying the skills required for Department of Defense facilities, including demonstrating an understanding of the unique requirements of the active military, is regarded as a plus. Provide additional support to others as needed.
This Senior Engineering position’s main responsibilities include performing structural design of new buildings, seismic design, renovations of existing facilities, and in-depth technical review of structural systems and details. The ideal candidate will have experience in designing and detailing complex buildings in steel, concrete, masonry, and timber. We are seeking a well-rounded engineer who has experience with office or warehouse buildings, industrial facilities, and utility facilities. Mentoring junior staff in technical concepts is a key component of this role, along with reviewing their work as part of our internal QA/QC process. The ideal candidate will teach junior engineers and act in a subject matter expert role for structural related concerns across ZAPATA’s portfolio of projects. Other duties include site visits, technical report writing, preparation of project specifications and drawings, providing support to other team members, and frequent design coordination with other professional disciplines, both in-house and outside of the company. Experience applying the Unified Facilities Criteria to Department of Defense facilities, including demonstrating an understanding of the unique requirements of the active military, is regarded as a plus.
- Prepares structural design of buildings including foundations, gravity and lateral systems, and appurtenances supporting architectural features.
- Prepares detailed calculation packages documenting building design and suitable for third party review
- Conducts detailed technical review of complex structural projects prepared in-house or by consultants to verify that design code requirements are being met, appropriate methods are being employed, and calculations have been correctly performed
- Evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria using judgment in making substantial engineering adaptations and modifications to assigned projects
- Mentors junior staff
- Prepares complete structural deliverables, including drawings, narratives, specifications, and calculation packages
- Prepares or reviews cost estimates as required
- Conducts project site visits to document conditions and to perform structural observations
- Assists in the preparation of written reports
- Assists in serving as a technical consultant concerning facilities planning, design, construction and/or maintenance for different categories of facilities
- BS in Structural Engineering (MS preferred)
- Current PE license and ability to be licensed by comity in other states
- SE License preferred
- Minimum 20 years structural design experience
- Demonstrated proficiency with ASCE 41
- Proficiency in building codes and standards, including IBC, ASCE 7, Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC), ACI, AISC, TMS402/602, and NDS
- Familiarity with H-18-8 Seismic Design Requirements a plus
- Proficiency in structural analysis software such as RISA Suite and Tekla Tedds, is required
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and Revit a plus
- Experience in non-linear and dynamic analysis a plus
- Military facilities design is preferred
- Familiarity with Unified Facilities Guide Specifications (UFGS) is preferred
- Strong communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
ZAPATA offers a competitive benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability and life insurance, paid time off, holiday pay, and 401(k) participation.
All employment offers are contingent upon successfully completing a criminal background check and drug screen. ZAPATA participates in E-Verify.
EOE AA M/F/Disabled/Veterans
VEVRAA Federal contractor. ZAPATA desires priority referrals.
Drug Free Workplace