Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
ZAPATA is a diverse, full-service engineering company with operations throughout the Continental United States and Pacific in support of Department of Defense, federal government, and private sector clients. The company is seeking a Structural Engineer EI to work in the Charlotte, NC office.
This position requires structural design for a variety of projects, including new buildings and infrastructure construction, structural upgrades, forensic investigations, and military/commercial/industrial renovation. Responsible for design and detailing for production of structural working drawings at an intermediate level commensurate with experience. Other duties may include assisting in the preparation of written reports, preparing specifications or construction cost estimates, conducting site visits to document conditions, and coordinating directly with both in-house and outside professionals. Experience applying the skills required for Department of Defense facilities, including demonstrating an understanding of the unique requirements of the active military, is regarded as a plus. Provide additional support to others as needed.
- Prepares specifications or construction cost estimates
- Conducts site visits to document conditions
- Prepares structural detailing for construction drawings
- Assists in the preparation of written reports
- Plans, designs, constructs and/or maintains structures and facilities that provide shelter, support transportation systems and control natural resources
- Perform structural analysis and forensic investigations
- Evaluates, selects and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria, using judgment in making some substantial engineering adaptations and modifications to assigned projects
- Assists in the planning, designing, and monitoring of projects for substantial new construction, renovation and improvement projects for real property facilities encompassing highly specialized or unique requirements
- Assists in serving as a technical consultant concerning facilities planning, design, construction and/or maintenance for different categories of facilities; determine resources and perform long-range planning
- Reviews consultant-prepared design drawings, indicating basic design corrections, prepare technical specifications, review engineering plans for compliance with numerous regulatory acts
- Assists in the evaluation of contract bids, make recommendations to higher-level engineers regarding feasibility studies and assist in the management of large-scale construction projects
- Bachelor’s Degree in Structural Engineering
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Completion of FE exam preferred
- If FE is not completed, employee is required to do so within one year of employment
- 0-7 years of structural design experience
- Military facilities design a plus
- Working knowledge of applicable design and building codes
- Proficiency in structural analysis computer software and AutoCad required
- Computer proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to have strong rapport with clients
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to obtain a government clearance is required
ZAPATA offers a competitive benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability and life insurance, paid time off, holiday pay, and 401(k) participation.
All employment offers are contingent upon successfully completing a criminal background check and drug screen. ZAPATA participates in E-Verify.
All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Medical and religious accommodation requests are received and considered.
EOE AA M/F/Disabled/Veterans
VEVRAA Federal contractor. Zapata desires priority referrals.
Drug Free Workplace